Unlike most of our other recipes from South Asia, this one is authentically Indian. A keeper for four people.
For the marinated chicken:
- 2 lb chicken cut into medium size pieces
- 2 chopped onions
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon smashed and minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (optional)
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- Some cut mint leaves (optional)
- Some cut cilantro leaves (optional)
- 2 teaspoons chicken biryani Masala
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/4 cup oil
Mix everything together and marinate it overnight or for at least 3-4 hours
To assemble the biryani:
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon neutral oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- about 2 cups fried onion slices
- about 1 cup cut cilantro leaves
- Soak the rice in water for 1 hour, then drain it.
- Boil the water, then add the oil and salt.
- Add the rice cook it for about 3 minutes; it should be about 70% done. Drain the rice.
- Put the chicken in a heavy flameproof pan big enough to hold it in a single layer.
- Spread the rice evenly over the chicken, then top it with the onions and the onions with the cilantro.
- Tightly cover the pan.
- Cook the biryani on high heat for 5 minutes, then reduce the heat to low and cook for another 10 minutes, the uncover the pan and cook for a further 25 minutes.
- Serve with Raita (see below)
Eat biryani hot and enjoy!!!
-To make the raita, combine ½ cup plain yogurt, 1/8 cup chopped cucumber, 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro, ½ teaspoon salt and 1 oz chopped onion.
-Saffron stalks dissolved in a little milk make a luxurious addition before the cilantro at Step 4.