Welsh lamb has a particularly delicate flavor but this traditional Welsh combination of aromatics and seasonings works well with all kinds of meat.
Preheat the oven to 425°.
- A 2 lb rack of lamb, chilled
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed and chopped
- heaped teaspoon sea or other coarse salt
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 10 oz dry white wine
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- Score the thin layer of fat covering the lamb in a diamond pattern. Combine the garlic, salt, honey, wine, pepper and rosemary and marinate the meat in the mixture for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Place the lamb on a rack within a roasting pan and pour the marinade over the meat and to drip into the pan. Roast the rack for 30 minutes: The chops should be a uniform pink.
- Let the rack rest for 10 minutes before carving and then serve the lamb cut down between the bones as either single or double (preferred) chops.
Serve the chops with laverbread, braised leeks and roast potatoes with rosemary for an emphatically Welsh palette of flavors.