The apples dissolve to spice the cabbage and keep it mild. A soothing winter vegetable.
- 2 oz unsalted butter
- cored, trimmed and finely shredded Savoy cabbage (about 3 lbs)
- 2-3 apples, cored, peeled and shredded
- 1-2 onions, peeled and sliced into thin crescents
- 2 Tablespoons stock or water
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- salt to taste
Preheat the oven to 300°.
- Generously smear the butter all over the inside of a casserole or heavy ovenproof pot that just holds the cabbage mixture.
- Mix together all of the other ingredients and bake covered for about 1 ½ hours.
- Increase the oven temperature to 375°, uncover the pot and bake another ten minutes or so to crisp the top and serve.
- If you like cabbage but not lots of pots, cook it with your carrots - make Braised cabbage and carrots.