This recipe appears in her London Ritz Book of Afternoon Tea and as we have commented elsewhere includes characteristically British elements in dry mustard and Worcestershire.
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard (like Colman’s)
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Whisk everything but the olive oil and lemon juice together.
- Slowly dribble the olive oil into the mix, whisking hard as the mayonnaise slowly thickens and emulsifies.
- Finish the mayonnaise by whisking the lemon juice into it.
-Hot sauce would be a welcome addition to the base recipe and if you like a slightly thinner and sharper sauce add more lemon juice.
-Simpson includes the recipe for use in making “The Ritz’s Special Egg Sandwiches,” which in reality rely on a standard egg salad paired with watercress and a smear of butter. For this amount of mayonnaise she roughly chops five hard boiled eggs.